Hills of Scotland

I fancied visiting somewhere random, somewhere I had never been to before and somewhere I knew absolutely nothing about.

After researching the typical not so cheap weekend get a way's to Barcelona, Iceland, Germany (the list goes on) it suddenly dawned on me that I have so many idealic places closer to home...how about Scotland!

I had over heard a couple of people talk about how beautiful Edinburgh is over their morning coffee chats in my work kitchen. After researching four hour train rides to Waverley Station and looking for the first time on the now famous airbnb (which I would 100% use again) I decided this was a plan. I roped my younger sister Claire in for the ride and we set off for a weekend of sight seeing and all things Scottish.

We stayed in a beautiful little 'castle apartment' in Grassmarket with amazing views of the castle itself (you would struggle to get better!). This area is the popular meeting place for locals and tourists alike with traditional shops, bars, pubs and restaurants.


Of course we had to visit the castle but beware there are far more steep hills and steps to climb than I am used to. Good excuse for a rare weekend work out! Most days they fire the 'One O'clock Gun' from the battlement of the castle, but of course we visited on the day this wasn't happening (typical of our luck). I am not really in to my history but it was a good couple of hours out and I would definitely recommend a visit. On our way out of the castle we also stumbled across a place called 'Camera Obscura', which is basically a building housing every optical illusion you could dream of- any photographer/artists dream.



Out of all of our wonderful experiences in Edinburgh the one I would absolutely recommend is eating at The Dome restaurant in the New Town of Edinburgh. With it's grand Graeco-Roman façade and food to please anyone's taste buds, I can safely say it's one of the best places I have been for both the ultimate 'posh' experience and absolutely unreal food! In the New Town you can find the more typical, less traditional pubs and clubs for a wild night out.

Please feel free to comment/share your experiences below.

Leanne x








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LKM ART

Claim to fame